Blog

I won!

Woke up this morning waaay earlier than usual to fly home from a family wedding – which, by the way, was much more affirming than the one that my main character attends in this book – to learn that I was the winner of the Put Your Heart in a Book Contest in the Contemporary Romance Series category!
Thanks for all the good luck y’all sent my way!
PYHIAB-2017-winner
I will eventually be starting a new site for my writing adventures, but for now, your support here is so appreciated.
Right now, I’m seeking representation and/or a publisher, and am happy to say that a few agents and editors have already asked to read the manuscript.
The Way You Make Me Feel is set in 1988 in Boston and is the first of a trio (that’s the plan right now, anyway). Each book will feature a different couple; the connection is a fictional theater company called Shakespeare Boston.
I’d love to hear what you think of the setting and time period!

10 thoughts on “I won!”

1. BermudaOnion says:

Woo hoo! Congratulations!

2. WooHoo! I’m happy dancing for YOU!!!!!!! Congrats!

3. sallycootie says:

Congrats! I like the setting. That is an interesting time period. What made you choose it? I must remember 1988, but nothing jumps out like with “the ’60’s.” Enjoy your win, and good luck with your publishing journey.

1. Karen says:

In addition to having all the important elements of a romance, this story looks at gender roles and work and in relationships, and I wanted to look at those at a time when things were changing fast and behavior and expectations were still catching up. 1988 is pre Anita Hill, when sexual harassment was barely on people’s radar. I also had fun with telling a story about dating pre-cell phone and internet!

1. sallycootie says:

Thanks. Gives me the context now. When the Anita Hill story broke we all said ME TOO, and sadly here we are saying it again. I enjoy reading stories without all our technology of today. I am really looking forward to reading The Way You Make Me Feel.

2. Karen says:

Yeah, when I started writing this a year ago, I was thinking I was writing about how far we’ve come. But now, the progress is questionable. I’m glad you’re looking forward to reading it!

4. Mary C says:

Congratulations!
    Looking forward to reading THE WAY. YOU MAKE ME FEEL!

5. Mary says:

Congratulations!!

6. LeeF says:

I look forward to your books- that would be a great time and setting. So proud of you!